Saturday, July 2, 2011

Blast from the Past

Today I caught myself reverting back to childhood hobbies of mine.  When I was a little girl, I would come home with pockets full of random objects because I saw “pictures” in them. I even started a collection of rocks that contained hidden faces, inspiring designs, and sparkly bits of pigment. As I’m getting adjusted to life here in southern France, I find myself once again scooping up rocks with unique crystallized details, collecting leafs in hopes to reproduce their veins on paper, and pressing the dozens of local flowers with the hope of keeping a piece of Lacoste with me forever. Whenever the possibility of an evening walk is brought up in conversation, I push the idea until it actually happens. Walks are the best opportunity to hunt for jewels to add to my growing collection of nature.  I am even challenging my sense of smell just as did when I was a young girl. I honestly wanted to smell everything when I was little: food, animals, pillows, blankets, houses, everything. I wanted to smell any and all because I would associate my feelings and memories with scents. To this day I can even remember my granddaddy Tedford having an ironically sweet aroma of hard work with a little splash of beer, and the comfort and excitement I would feel whenever he came around.  I naturally seemed to start collecting a memoir of fragrances to remember Lacoste as if I was bringing the former habit of mine back to life. These records of scents I’m collecting cannot be summarized by just one word, but can best be described by lively yet random descriptions. For example, the air here in Lacoste is nothing like I have ever sensed before. The sweet must of hot lavender fused with dense grasses, cool winds, and even the subtle scent given off from the sunshine form a perfect perfume that should be bottled up and sold by the gallons. I wish there was some physical way to capture what I am talking about and share it with those that I love.  I doubt I will ever be able to forget the stunning incense given off by this land. 

~Peace & Cupcakes~






 My basket of goodies!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the writing and the pictures!!!
-Mama-

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos Kelsey!!!!! Looks like you are doing well....need more photos of YOU!!!!

Just home from a beautiful fireworks display in High Ridge!!!! was awesome!!!!

Have a great Sunday....you are probably getting ready to get up.....or maybe you are sleeping in!!!

Love ya.......Gma

Anonymous said...

Kelsey......the way you write and describe things makes me almost feel like I'm there, thanks for sharing......gracie